05 February 2012

The Art Of Mike Mignola

I'm often asked about my own artistic influences, which are quite broad, but thought it would be fun to address the number one influence that I've carried for many years now.

Mike Mignola.

I'd seen his work in a few books in my youth, but it was "Gotham By Gaslight" that really grabbed me. A tale of Batman set during the days of Jack The Ripper, the story was cool, but it was the art that really hit me. From that day forward I grabbed anything Mignola worked on and devoured it. The combination of his unique artwork and stunning compositions set him apart from so many others in the comic world, and has continued to do so.

Hellboy is, of course, one of his greatest achievements in the world of comics. And reading it from the start will take you on a great journey of an artist's evolution (both in regards to his writing and art). The Amazing Screw-On Head, originally a one-shot comic, has since been released in a hardcover book with other works and is definitely worth getting your hands on. This is Mignola at his finest, an imagination run wild.

There are many artists in the world whose work has influenced me, but Mignola will always be at the top of that ladder. Here are some images that will help to explain why. You can find these and much more by clicking on his name at the top of this post.



Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment